James W. O'Mara, M.D.
Dr. James O'Mara was born and raised in Jackson, Mississippi. After receiving a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Biology from Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas, Dr. O'Mara entered medical school at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine in Nashville and received the Doctor of Medicine degree in 1993.
Dr. O'Mara's professional training in Orthopaedic surgery includes a one-year general surgery internship at Georgetown University in Washington, DC. He completed his Orthopaedic surgery residency in 1998 at Georgetown University. Dr. O'Mara completed a fellowship (extra specialty training) in sports medicine and knee surgery at the American Sports Medicine Institute in Birmingham, Alabama. Dr. O'Mara is Board Certified in the specialty of Orthopaedic surgery with a special interest in knee surgery and he also holds an American Board of Orthopaedic Sugery Subspeciality Certification in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine.
Honors & Awards
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Southern Methodist University Presidential Scholarship, 1985-1989
- National Merit Scholarship, 1985-1989
- Pollard Simons Scholarship, 1986-1989
- Phi Delta Theta Scholarship Merit Award, 1988
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- American Medical Association (AMA)
- Mississippi State Medical Association
- Southern Medical Association
- Southern Orthopaedic Association