Larry D. Field, M.D.
Dr. Larry D. Field was raised in Natchez, Mississippi. After receiving a degree in Biomedical Engineering from Louisiana Tech University, Dr. Field attended and received his Doctor of Medicine degree in 1988 from the University of Mississippi School of Medicine in Jackson.
Dr. Field’s professional training includes a 5 year orthopaedic surgery residency completed in
1993 at the University of Mississippi Medical Center. Following graduation, Dr. Field completed a fellowship (subspecialty training) in Sports Medicine and Shoulder Surgery at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City. While in New York, he served as assistant team physician for the New York Mets professional baseball team. In addition, he also completed an A-O International Orthopaedic Surgery Fellowship in Germany. Dr. Field is Board certified in the specialty of orthopaedic surgery with special expertise in shoulder, elbow, and wrist surgery.
He is active in a number of surgical specialty associations and serves as scientific advisor
to several organizations and professional/corporate boards. Dr. Field is also very involved in
research related to shoulder and elbow pathologies and has made more than 250 scientific
presentations, both nationally and internationally. He has published 3 books on shoulder and
elbow surgery, approximately 75 book chapters and over 100 scientific articles, all related to
shoulder and elbow conditions. Also, Dr. Field currently serves on the Board of Directors for
the Arthroscopy Association of North America as well as Program Director for the Mississippi
Sports Medicine Center's highly regarded Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy Fellowship training program.
Honor Society Memberships
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- Omicron Delta Kappa Honor Society
- Alpha Epsilon Delta Honor Society
- Alpha Mu Beta Honor Society
Professional Society Memberships
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- American Orthopaedic Association (AOA)
- American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons Society (ASES)
- Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA)
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM)
- International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS)
- Editorial Board, Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery
- Editorial Board, Techniques in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery
- Southern Medical Association
- Southern Orthopaedic Association
- Mississippi Orthopaedic Society, President, 2008 - 2009
- Mississippi State Medical Association